Upgrading ownCloud to v10.0.3

My previous ownCloud upgrade from v9.1.4 to v9.1.6 went pretty smoothly (see http://eb.dy.fi/2017/06/upgrading-owncloud/).

Now while running apt-get dist-upgrade the ownCloud version was updated to 10.0.3. When logging in to the server I was greeted with the message:

Ok, let’s boldly go where no one has gone before and click Start update. As expected it really seems the developers didn’t test this themselves. 🙂

Well to be fair the nginx setup for owncloud is not officially supported. It is based mainly on the community contributions  and thus might not get tested so well by the developers. Anyway, let’s continue next the command line route. Just login to the server with ssh or vnc and go to /var/www/owncloud and run the occ command.

# cd /var/www/owncloud
# sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade

The result is the same. Maybe we should just follow the instructions and disable the apps.

# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable contacts
# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable ownnote
# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable activity
# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable files_pdfviewer
# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable files_texteditor
# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable gallery

After another occ upgrade the situation seems to be improving.

And success!

Unfortunately most of my apps have now been disabled and only the files and calendar apps are working. When trying to reinstall the apps from the market place with the admin account I am told that there is no connection.

Could this be related to the change that was done during the previous upgrade in /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php where the appstoreurl was set to https://marketplace.owncloud.com/api/v0? Let’s test by removing the appstoreurl line.

Next logout from the admin account and login back again and select the market place and voila! Seems we are back in business:

There are 2 updates:

  1. Calendar from 1.4.2 -> 1.5.4
  2. Contacts from 1.5.1 -> 1.5.3

Let’s update those.

I can also get the other disabled apps back:

App Category
Text Editor Productivity
PDF Viewer Productivity
Activity Tools
Gallery Multimedia
QOwnNotesAPI Tools

Ok, everything seems to be running just fine again.

Update 24.10.2017

After reboot I noticed that the owncloud server was no longer responding. After a quick check I noticed that the /var/www/owncloud folder was basically empty, just a couple of folders were left. Hmm, maybe some glitch in the upgrade? Luckily I have daily backups so I just restored the v9.1.6 and reinstalled the owncloud-files package.

# apt-get install owncloud-files

Then before going to the site for upgrade I removed the offending appstoreurl line from the file /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php.

This time the upgrade finishes without errors. In the admin page there are warnings, though.

We can take the memory based locking into use by first installing redis.

#apt-get install redis-server php5-redis

And then updating the config.php file.

'filelocking.enabled' => true,
'memcache.locking' => '\OC\Memcache\Redis',
'memcache.local' => '\OC\Memcache\Redis',
'redis' => [
     'host' => 'localhost',
     'port' => 6379,
     'timeout' => 0.0,
     'password' => '', // Optional, if not defined no password will be used.
 ],

Unfortunately the redis php module is v2.2.5 and ownCloud requires at least v2.2.6 so we cannot use it yet. Have to wait until we get the next version into the debian repository for RPi.

As for the invalid files these seem to be some left over files from the previous version. I guess I need to manually delete each file to get rid of the integrity warning. The problem is that there seems to be > 100 files in the list…